My FAVORITE craft I do is yarn work- knitting and crocheting. They are wonderfully easy and keep my hands busy while I'm
vegging out on the couch taking in educational programming. The yarn also keeps me from stuffing my face because I don't want to get crumbs and bright orange Cheeto crustiness all over it. It's genius.
So then I saw the Knook and knew I had to try it. It's the best of both worlds! It takes all the things that are so great about crocheting (a single hook rather than two needles to wrangle, simple stitches, being able to easily work in the round) and combines them with the things I love about knitting (tightly woven fabric, only two stitches to master rather than several different ones, TONS of variety in patterns). It's fantastic.
Because I can't seem to do ANYTHING without announcing it everyone I know on Facebook, it made my status updates about 95 times in the last week or so. That's an approximation. So I got a couple of questions about it, which reminded me that not everyone follows the Leisure Arts blog, which means that they were unaware, for the most part, of the publicity bomb that has been detonating on there since the Knook was released for sale.
You can buy the Knook at Wal*Mart (usually. I was super ticked because that's where I got MINE and then I went back to get one for a friend for a gift -shhhh...-and they were out and the staff had no idea what I was asking them for. I mean, ideally, the people who work in the crafting department of a store should have SOME idea of what the stock is that they're in charge of. Ideally.) and online at the Leisure Arts website. For $9.95, you get three bamboo crochet hooks (which, if you decided Knooking isn't for you, is a great deal just for the hooks which can use to regular crochet with), the strings you use while Knooking, and a great how-to guide with four awesome beginner patterns.
This is what it looks like:
On the Leisure Arts website they are so excited about the Knook that they have produced some fanTAStic videos for us learning to do this to teach us- and they're great.
Here's the link: How to Knook
It's going to be awesome and you're going to love it.
As proof, here's my Top Ten List of reasons why:
10. It's totally new and innovative and you can tell your kids that you were alive before Knooking became the hit sensation that's sweeping the nation. They'll be awed.
9. It's super fun and your hubby will be super impressed at your mad skills. You don't even have to tell him about the helper videos. They'll be our little secret.
8. It makes a great stocking stuffer for the yarn crafter in your life!
7. It's a great, non-intimidating way to jump into the yarn crafting arena yourself! No needles to juggle, no crazy stitches to master, easy patterns to follow...plus, EVERYONE is learning to do this, so there's no nagging feeling of inferiority because NO ONE really knows what they're doing. Definite bonus.
6. It's SUPER portable, so you can take it with you to doctor's appointments, waiting in the carpool line after school, family parties (holiday parties! I can hear the "ooohs" from impressed and envious family members now!), etc. Nice!
5. It's a great way to snuggle up with your honey while watching holiday movies while the snow floats softly by outside your windows. Very "It's a Wonderful Life"! Don't you feel domestic?
4. Even if you don't like Knooking (*gasp!*), you get three great-quality bamboo hooks for a super-low price!
3. Leisure Arts is constantly releasing new patterns specifically written FOR the Knook on their website! They have some really great stuff available on there!
2. Winter is coming, which in Michigan means LOTS and LOTS of indoor time. Lots. This means you will need a hobby to avoid going nuts. It's between this and getting roped into coming over and painting all the rooms in our new house. Your choice.
1. It makes knitting in the round SO EASY. If you crochet, you know how wonderfully easy it is to whip up the cutest little beanie-hats in no time flat! But...crocheting can lead to kind of hole-y fabric. That's why I love knitting hats. But that takes forever and often requires double pointed needs. Not my fave. Enter the Knook! You can KNIT in the ROUND with NO cables and NO dpns! LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Grab yourself one now! Or add it to your Dear Santa letter! It's not too late! The Elves can easily grab one for you before the season is out.
Coincidentally, Leisure Arts is hosting a FABU giveaway right now that you MUST enter if you're at ALL interested in this!
Go HERE to enter! Good luck!
(just not TOO much luck because I wanna win TOO! lol)
Oh, and this was in no way associated with or requested by Leisure Arts. Just my own ramblings.