Wednesday, November 23, 2011

New Life, New House, New Blog

We are starting over. I'm told this is a daunting task, although at the moment it just feels like another transition. Maybe it's because we're still relatively young, or maybe it's because my life has been a series of changes of scenery and lifestyle, but whatever it is- this doesn't seem so difficult. I'm used to moving around a lot, to having my life change in a few seconds and sentences, to waking up in a brand new place with a brand new life. My faith has remained strong, my friends and family are amazing, and my husband and I have drawn closer together rather than falling apart. In the words of Kurt Vonnegut, "so it goes."

I love our house. I love living in the country with the quiet and the "scope for imagination" that there is out here. Ask me again how I feel about that in January when the snow is flying and the roads haven't been plowed in days, but for now- I love it. I'm choosing to overlook things like the cats killing mice in my living room (who knew my sweet kitties were so blood thirsty?) and the fact that it's totally normal for there to be horse poop in the middle of the road (...) and focusing instead on the positive- My cats have a new hobby other than sleeping all day! My neighbors have horses! How cool is that?!

Plus...this is the first time since I left home for college that I have felt like I have a home. Something that constant, so I feel less like a hobo. I feel like I have roots again, like I have a space that really and truly is mine. It's a heady feeling. A feeling that leads to picking out ridiculous numbers of paint samples so that the paint department guy glares at me, sure that I'm about to turn my fistful of precious (free!) paint chips into craft projects. Which I still might. Thank you, Pinterest. I have a vision for how this house will look and how it will be when we're done with it (although, being that it's me- I'm never really "done" but shhhh, don't tell my husband!). How it will be to someday have a yard full of little ones running around, driving me crazy and leading me to say non-sensical, parenty things like, "Go ahead and PLAY with the lawn mower then! But when you cut both your feet off, DON'T COME RUNNING TO ME!!!" The way the rooms will look when they're all covered in beautiful semi-gloss paint in gorgeous colors to match my gorgeous wall art and couches, all of which has been thrifted (shhhh, don't tell my...oh, who am I kidding? I'm a bargain whore, so I tell EVERYONE I MEET how little something cost me at the Salvation Army and isn't it CUTE?!).

So stay tuned. Watch us grow among the trees that make up my backyard (we live IN the woods...like...IN them), and see what I come up with. Watch me change and plan and kludge things together and...and learn to blend in with the country in a stand-outy, LL Bean Christmas Catalog kind of way.

7 comments:

  1. Gretchen, you are delightful. I'm excited to see what you make of country living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see you praising Jesus in the midst of the storms. May God continue to pour His blessings upon you and your husband. {and this blog!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see you back! I've been praying for you. I'm looking forward to seeing what life in the country is like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen... You are so amazing!! I cannot wait to follow your blog and see how your country living comes along. I have to admit, I am jealous. I grew up in the country and I cannot wait until I move back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your old blog and was so saddened to hear about your sweet baby girl. I'm glad you're back! Can't wait to read your new blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see pictures of your house! :) Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gretchen,
    I basically stumbled over the horrible news on your old blog a few weeks ago and I have been wanting to tell you how sorry I am, but could neither find words nor way. Now that I've found your new blog, I said to myself, this might be the right way, since it appears to me, blogging is what you do with so much effort and passion. And I remembered a poem by Hermann Hesse, a German poet and writer, which my dad sent to me when I was sixteen, staying at your family's in Midland and a friend of mine died in Germany. I do not want to compare my situation back then to yours today, but I found comfort in reading it then - and thus I thought, you might appreciate it (although it loses it a bit of it's touch in the translation).

    Steps - by Hermann Hesse

    Like ev'ry flower wilts, like youth is fading
    and turns to age, so also one's achieving:
    Each virtue and each wisdom needs parading
    in one's own time, and must not last forever.
    The heart must be, at each new call for leaving,
    prepared to part and start without the tragic,
    without the grief - with courage to endeavor
    a novel bond, a disparate connection:
    for each beginning bears a special magic
    that nurtures living and bestows protection.

    We'll walk from space to space in glad progression
    and should not cling to one as homestead for us.
    The cosmic spirit will not bind nor bore us;
    it lifts and widens us in ev'ry session:
    for hardly set in one of life's expanses
    we make it home, and apathy commences.
    But only he, who travels and takes chances,
    can break the habits' paralyzing stances.

    It might be, even, that the last of hours
    will make us once again a youthful lover:
    The call of life to us forever flowers...
    Anon, my heart: Say farewell and recover!


    I wish you all the best in your new home and I am looking forward to stopping by at your blog from time to time.

    Alena

    ReplyDelete