Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Color Craving

Growing up, we had a white home. White on every wall, in every room, on all three floors. White, white, white. This...does not suit my personality. I couldn't have been more thrilled when, over spring break of my sophomore year, my dad painted the walls of my bedroom gorgeous soft shades of blue and green to match my bedding. It just sang to my soul. I loved it. To this day, after all these years, when I walk into my old bedroom, those colored walls just soothe me somewhere deep down in my heart.

Truth About Me: I NEED color. NEED it. CRAVE it. LOTS and LOTS of color.

What do we think of this? I think that this is going to be the winning color scheme for our t.v. room and I couldn't be more thrilled. I have to feel a connection to the colors that I'm seeing to feel okay with surrounding myself with them. And this...this just makes me want to curl up in the blanket in the picture with a Jane Austen novel and a cup of herbal tea. Love. Maybe that green on the walls? With some lovely soft throws on the couch and chairs, fluffy pillows, and soft golden lighting? *happy sigh*

p.s. This color swatch was made by my newest obsession- the Chip It! app from Sherwin Williams. I'll be doing a post about it in the future, but if you want to get a jump on the game head over to LetsChipIt.com and check it out. It's amazing and I will now be thinking of everything I see in terms of color swatches. lol.

3 comments:

  1. I love the story about your dad, Gretchen. It made me think of my own that I wanted to share. When I was a senior in high school, my parents were away for a weekend and I decided to paint my room pink. Long story short, I had no idea what I was doing and ruined the walls - all the way down to the dry wall paper! I was sure my dad was going to be furious, and, he was upset that I didn't ask before taking on such a project; but then a year later, when I was moving back home from college, I walked into my room and he had fixed everything and painted it light pink. And put up soft white curtains with puff ball trim. It meant the world to me, and it's still one of my favorite memories of him that I think of often when I'm missing him. <3 Dads doing sweet things for their girls always get me.

    (Oh, and our whole house was white, white, white too - except the kids' rooms).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen! I found your blog! LOVE that color scheme. Definitely put that green on the walls. I haven't even seen your place, but I know it would look great. Keep writing because I like getting to know you/stalking you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had a blue bedroom...and I think that's why I am drawn to the color when I decorate my white-walled home today. Thank you so so much for your kind words on my blog, it truly made my day! Dunno if I'm the coolest art teacher around but I do know I love my job and my sweet students. So glad to have found your blog, you now have a new follower! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete