Monday, July 30, 2012

A Meal for Monday - Salmon with Dill Sauce


Photo Credit
I was browsing in the Bargain Books area of Barnes and Noble a couple of weeks ago (seriously, I cannot and should not be trusted in a bookstore when I have cash in hand) and my eyes fell on a cookbook published by the folks who put out "Taste of Home" magazine called "The 5 Ingredient Cookbook" that was on sale for $9.97 (available here) and I remembered that I know two things about myself:
  1. I hate grocery shopping with a deep and immovable passion and
  2. I'm a lazy cook
These things have remained true in spite of efforts to change them. I can't help it. I loathe the grocery store (the word loathe should be said in a deep growly voice and extended to have at least three syllables. Looooooooooathe.) and for an average evening, something that takes more than a few steps is just not something that I can willingly commit to. Gimme quick and easy any time. Unfortunately, that conflicts with the third thing that I know about myself- I'm a total show off. Always have been. So what's a girl to do? 

I'll tell you! I snapped up this cookbook (which has a permanent home in my car so that when I'm on my way home from work I can stop at the grocery store, grab a MAXIMUM of five things and head home to make dinner as if I'm actually a super organized meal planner) and toddled over the local Meijer to pick up the things I needed to trick Hubs into thinking that I'm a total domestic goddess. Poor man.

I sat in the parking lot in my car thumbing through the cookbook, looking for something that would jump out at me (I swear, half of my life happens in a car) and my eyes landed on this. Salmon. It's automatically fancy. Just the color makes it look extra festive and there's just something about being able to toss out a glib, "Oh, I'm baking salmon" when someone asks what's for dinner. It's perfect.

And this recipe is now a family favorite. It's easy, delicious (seriously, it's wonderful) and it's FAST. And it makes me look like a kitchen goddess. All of my criteria met in a single dish- hubs is lucky we don't eat this every night. lol.

So without further ado, the recipe! Make it tonight. I promise you will LOVE it (unless you don't like fish...in that case, I promise nothing). 

Prep/Total Time: 30 mins     <-------- didja catch that? 30 minutes, start to finish!

Ingredients

  • 1 salmon fillet (1 pound)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed, divided
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend

Directions

  • Place salmon in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon dill. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  • Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the yogurt, sugar, seasoning blend and remaining dill. Cook and stir over low heat until warmed. Serve with the salmon. Yield: 4 servings.

From the Country Mouse's table to yours, with love. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment