Monday, August 20, 2012

A Meal For Monday - Taco Salad

I am so in love with taco anything. Did you know that about me? It's true. I just love tacos. Crunchy shell, fresh and cool cheese and veggies, and warm, gooey meat...mmmmm...SO good. 

The only problem?

I am terrible at eating them. Like, awful at it. To the point that I end up wearing somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of each taco, from my face to my shirt to my pants. Not good. And definitely not date food. lol.

So what's a girl to do? And no, not eating tacos is NOT an option, so just banish that idea right out of your little head.

Enter: Taco Salad!


Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground pork or beef
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning
  • 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 10 cups torn romaine
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Western salad dressing
  • Tortilla chips, crushed
  • Sour cream and guacamole, optional

Directions

  • In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, beans and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
  • In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, onion and cheese. Stir in pork mixture. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with chips. Serve immediately with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Oh, and one last thing-

The best part, for me, about a taco salad, is that delicious taco shell that they give you in restaurants. Problem is, those are deep fried, which sort of negates the purpose of a salad, am I right? So here's a better idea: Grab your muffin tin and flip it over so that the muffin cup bottoms are face up (like a tiny mountain range!). Stuff small tortillas in the spaces in between the cups so they look like ruffly bowls (taco shell bowls!). Put the tin in the oven and bake at 350* until they start to look brown and crispy. I never really time this...I think it takes about 10-15 minutes, but you'll want to test this yourself! Just don't let them burn or stay too soft and you're all set.

From my table to yours, dearies!

No comments:

Post a Comment