Monday, November 5, 2012

A Meal for Mondays - Pork Chops and Rice

Okay, you guys. This is another Cheryl Daunheimer (a.k.a. my mom) Special, so this is guaranteed to be simple, stick-to-your-ribs, EASY to make fare. Hooray! It's honestly delicious in the fall and winter (at least I think so! Well, I and my family), so it's perfect for me to share right now! Also...look. I know that a lot of these recipes that I'm sharing aren't exactly gourmet fare. I know. I do. But...for me, that's not really the point. I remember the feeling I would get coming to the table and seeing these simple, easy, and yet familiarly delicious dishes on the table. It was homey and comforting and...just...simple. And I loved that. I cook things for my little family that WE like, things that my the Hubs feel loved and appreciated. Things that don't take me all day to cook (unless I'm using my beloved Crock Pot!) and that I can bring to the table with relative ease but that still taste delicious to US. I'm really and truly not trying to compete with the amazing gourmet stay-at-home-wives-and-mothers who moonlight as chefs in their spare time.

See...honesty time: I do not love to cook. It's not my passion. 

But I DO love to cook for my family. 

So...those are the only reactions that really matter to me. I share these recipes on here with you all because I think that maybe you'll enjoy them, too, and also because I'm sort of voyeuristic in that I love to get glimpses into what everyone ELSE is doing and what THEIR normal looks like, so maybe other people want to see mine. You know? If you choose not to check in on Mondays or if you choose not to make these particular recipes in favor of something fancier or something...I dunno...just...ELSE, I guess, that's totally fine with me. Because THOSE recipes are the ones that will become special to YOUR family because they'll remember YOU preparing them. These ones are special to mine.

I apologize too...I have NO pictures for you. Had I been bright, I would've taken pictures while I was cooking this tonight, but for the moment all I would have to offer you is pictures of my dirty dishes and I don't think anyone wants that. Unless the sight of them would move you to pity and cause you to come over and do them FOR me, in which case, please let me know. I will be glad to humiliate myself in exchange for free dish washing service!

Ahem.

Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients:

*1-2 pork chops per person (bone in or bone out, it really doesn't matter. I say 1-2 because if you have hungry men or teenagers in your home or if your chops are particularly small, you may need more than the rest of us!)

*1 can cream of mushroom soup

*1/2 of a large sweet white onion, sliced into thin strips

*1 soup can worth of milk (<----do cups="cups" dirty="dirty" for="for" it="it" love="love" measuring="measuring" no="no" p="p" us="us" you="you">
*white rice

Directions:

In a large skillet, cook chops in oil with onions until cooked completely through and onions begin to caramelize. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix soup and milk together until completely blended. When chops are cooked thoroughly, pour soup and milk mixture over the top of them and bring to a low boil, stirring around the chops as well as you can to avoid scorching the milk. Reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer until soup reduces down to a thin gravy.

In another pot, make white rice according to package instructions. Serve chops and sauce over the top of the rice on each plate. I like to sprinkle mine with a little parsley as well, just to add some color. I also like to serve this with my mom's "signature" fruit salad- sliced bananas, sliced grapes, canned mandarin oranges, and canned pineapple. Mmmmmm mmm!

So there you go! Pork chops and rice, from my table to yours, with love. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment