Monday, December 10, 2012

The City Mouse Says...My (Current) Beauty Favorites

I'm a city girl who's been transplanted to the Michigan Country Woods and some things have definitely changed, but I'm still a city girl at heart! I still like pretty things, home decor, and girly makeup-clothes-hair-shoes things. What can I say? You can take the girl outta the city...

While I was doing my face today, I thought that it might be fun to do a post on some of my current favorite make up things! I am by no means a "beauty blogger" (let's face it, I just don't have the budget! lol) because...that would be pretty boring. I tend to find a product that I like and stick with it (case in point: I've been using the same brand and style of mascara since high school) rather than being adventurous and trying out a bunch of different things all the time. If you're looking for a bona fide beauty blogger (that also happens to be one of my all-time favorite blogger/vloggers!), I suggest you check out Emily over at Beauty Broadcast (you can also follow her on PinterestFacebook, and YouTube) and she is wonderful. Seriously, I'm a huge fan. She covers high end products as well as the more easily-affordable drugstore and QVC stuff. Love.

Anyhoodle. 

That being said, there are a few beauty products that I'm in love with right now that I'd like to share. In fact, I might just make this a regular thing, for my own pleasure if nothing else. lol. So without further ado, here we go!



This stuff is boss. End of story. It smells so crisp and fresh, which I love in the wintertime when it seems like all of the fragrances can start to seem a little heavy to me. I tend to gravitate more toward light, citrusy or fruity scents, and this is right on target. Plus, my hair feels fabulously soft, looks super shiny, and my scalp isn't uncomfortably dry or itchy like it tends to get in the winter because of the dry air. I love it! It also serves as a great first-thing-in-the-morning aromatherapy pick-me-up in the shower!

I have been a Wet 'n' Wild fan since high school and their stuff has, in recent years, only gotten better. I am in love with their 8-pan shadow palettes right now! The one in the picture, called "Comfort Zone" is  really amazing and is the palette that I probably use the most often. The picture really and truly doesn't do it justice because the colors in person are really gorgeous. The shadows themselves are just as silky and long-lasting as shadows that I've paid a LOT more for, so at $4.99 for 8 large color pans I'm thrilled with these. They have three limited edition palettes out for winter right now and if you find them, definitely snap them up because they're great. This video from Beauty Broadcast says it better than I can and in less space. I really do love the matte palette called "Drinking a Glass of Shine" and the one called "Sparkle 'Til Morning."


 I found mine in a separate little display at the end of the beauty aisle at Walgreens. I have these palettes in several color combinations and they're all really versatile and wearable. Don't be scared of the brighter colors! With proper blending and accenting, they are really gorgeous! They are very highly pigmented, too, unlike a lot of drugstore brands that I've used (I'm looking at you, Almay!) and the colors stay on all day without smudging, creasing, or fading (even through feeding the chickens and cleaning the house!).

3. Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana, $48.00 / 0.8oz

Okay, yep, this one's a little spendy, BUT. I think that fragrance is one of those things that you should spend a little more on because cheap perfume smells, well...cheap. It usually has a very flat fragrance (one note only), doesn't last very long, and/or changes fragrance over the course of the day. Now, that is in general. If you have a drugstore fragrance that you've loved for years and that works for you, that's awesome! Specialty perfumes do tend to smell better, last longer, (making them more worth the money in the long run!) and hey, every girl should have her own "signature" scent, right? Plus, with it being the holiday season, perfume makes an awesome gift from someone special. I first got this as a sample from Sephora when I was buying something with a gift card that I'd received as a present last year and I've been hooked ever since. It's light, citrusy, a little bit floral, and very feminine without smelling like "old lady" perfume. It goes from summer to winter easily and lasts forever. My husband loves it, too, which is a big deal because he's kind of a hard sell as far as fragrances go.



I can't necessarily attest to the "mood boosting" powers of this blush (other than the lift I get from seeing the way it looks on my pasty skin and knowing that I look less deathly...lol), but the long-lasting color and subtle shimmer are awesome! It is lightly scented with a lightly rose-violet scent which is nice, but I'm a bigger fan of the effects of colors all swirled together to create a customized, natural-looking flush. This is truly a gorgeous blush product! It also comes in Rose, which has a much pinker tone to it but on the right skin-tone I've seen it look really stunning. The color never looks cakey, even after a full day of wear, and it blends really well. 


Along with their shadows, Wet 'n' Wild has revamped their lip products as well, and while some of them still need a little work formulation-wise (their long lasting lipsticks are not my favorite and not, actually, very long lasting!), they have hit some home runs lately with others! This is one of my favorite lip products lately in all of the color variations. They're light, shimmery, glossy, and really well pigmented. They don't last as long as something like a lip stain or one of the Outlast lip colors, but it's well worth the $3 and a little touch up throughout the day isn't a bad trade off for gorgeous color and a $3 investment.

6. Eos Lip Balm, $3.29

Dude. I feel like I could write FanGirl fiction about this lip balm! It's absolutely fabulous. From the ergonomic design to the actually-tasty flavors, to the fact that it's made of 95% natural ingredients, to the fact that it just works, this stuff is great. I'm dying to try the Lemon Drop flavor (can you tell that I have a citrus fixation?), and I'm really hoping that they come out with some sort of limited edition Christmas flavors (Peppermint! Egg nog! Cranberry!). These would make awesome stocking stuffers or gift add-ons for the holidays! I have the Strawberry Sorbet flavor next to my bed right now and when I wake up in the morning my lips feel soft, moisturized, and healthy- no small feat in Michigan winter in-doors weather! You can get these all over, but I've seen them most often at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens. I highly recommend checking them out for solving your chapped lip blues!


There you have it- my favorites for the month of December. I'm thinking of doing this monthly, but let me know what you think. It's something that I really enjoy and I always feel like I have a thousand recommendations when I go to the store, so I thought maybe this would be a good outlet for them! 

4 comments:

  1. I like it! You should do it monthly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I think I WILL do it monthly, just because I find it fun and it'll give me an excuse to try some new things more frequently. lol.

      Delete
  2. Ain't nuthin better than a good chapstick! I'm definitely trying that eos stuff asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's awesome! I'm actually anxious to try to their other products that they've just started coming out with, like shaving lotion and body lotion. If they smell as good as the lip balm does, they should be heaven!

      Delete