Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day, 2014

Happy Belated Valentine's Day, everyone!

I just wanted to give a quick overview of our holiday because it's my favorite day of the whole year and this year's was particularly lovely! Baby W was at home with a sitter, so the Hubs and I got to actually go out alone for four. whole. hours. Beautiful.

We started out by going to LaZeez International Restaurant (it's the Indian food restaurant here in town) and it was AH-mazing. Seriously. We've come to expect the food to be wonderful there (because it always, always is), but they went all out of Valentine's Day! The restaurant was decorated, the tables all had candles burning away in holiday-themed centerpieces, we were treated to a free mango lassi to accompany our meal (mmmmm...), a fabulous buffet, adorable little individual strawberry cake and passion fruit shooter-style desserts, and at the end of the meal were presented a long-stemmed rose and a box of handmade chocolates. Can you believe it?! There were even handmade red-tinted heart shaped ice cubes in the buffet table to keep the cold foods cool! It was the cutest!!! And do you think that I had my camera with me so that I could capture it all for you?

I did not.

Lame. Sorry. But I think you'll forgive me when I tell you that it's because I was so excited to spend a romantic evening out with the Hubs that I didn't even think to grab it on my way out of the house. We spent the whole evening without looking at our phones or tablets, which was a real miracle. We actually talked (!!!) and it was wonnnnnnderful. So there were no pictures taken, but I honestly cannot recommend LaZeez enough if you're looking for a place to get some really delicious food that's world's away from your run of the mill, boring chain restaurant.

Then we went and saw "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare...Abridged" at the Midland Center for the Arts which was...fine. I've seen it done loads better, but the Hubs had never seen it before and it was fun experiencing it with him and it was a lot more fun than just going to a movie. 

(Sidenote: no one dresses for the theatre anymore, have you noticed that?! I couldn't believe all the people there that I saw in jeans and t-shirts with grubby sneakers on. Sad.)

My favorite part (besides spending scads of quality time with my husband)? The gifts, of course! Both the giving and the receiving. I love Valentine's Day gifts because I try to stay in keeping with the romantic, smaller stuff. For Christmas and birthdays, I think it's nice to ask for and to give things that maybe you need or that will come in handy, but for Valentine's Day I think it's just the best to get and give frivolous little bits of romantic frippery that you'd never get for yourself - flowers, perfume, spendy chocolates, lovely scarves, etc.

So for the Hubs I put together a little basket with a helium balloon attached (festive!) and packed with his favorite snacking things for him to nosh while at work like sunflower seeds, Reese's Pieces, chocolate hearts, Lindor Lindt Truffles, and Sour Patch Kids. Then, nestled in with those things I tucked this:

Dolce and Gabbana The One Gentleman
Mmmmm...Smells amazing!!! I was sniffing him all evening. lol.

In a sweet show of just how well-suited we are to each other, he got me this:

Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau to Toilette
I mean, look at the bottle. I can't even. It smells incredible, I've been wanting it for ages, and I'm just so touched that he thought of it!!! I love it! I keep moving it around the bathroom vanity, trying to show it off to best effect. lol. 

He also bought me a beautiful freshwater pearl bracelet that I love and don't ever want to take off. Ever. 

Overall, it was an awesome night, we had a wonderful time together, and I'm already looking forward to Valentine's Day 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment